Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Spencer High School -- Class of 1992!!

No Poker! No Gambling! Not in this blog entry. Going to focus this blog entry about my upcoming high school reunion...



This week was very eventful. I confirmed my attendance my 20-year High School Reunion to Spencer High School  in Columbus, GA! I can't believe it's been 20 years since I was in high school. Time really flies..To quote the great Ferris Beuller, "Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and looking around. You could miss it." That's how I felt the past 20 years have been. I can remember vividly my graduation...it a hot and muggy night. I don't remember feeling nostalgic about my high school days, just wondering what the next chapter in my life would end up. I remember saying goodbye and salutations to my friends and wishing them good luck. It was like the end of an era and the beginning a new chapter.

I didn't keep track of my classmates, until I became friends with many of them on Facebook...It's amazing what some of the graduating class of 1992 are doing now. One, owns a Photography studio JB Hedges...looks like it's very successful. One, owns a very successful business, who even blogs about his success and helping others have successful: http://betteryourcheddar.com/ Two guys are successful military officers in the United States Army. One of which is very prominent on Facebook, telling us what he does and what's on his mind every 2 seconds...Sorry Ray, had to needle ya a little bit.

Although I knew a lot of people in high school, I wouldn't say I had a lot of close friends, because I was a very introverted person. I was beyond shy!! Although I think I'm more outgoing nowadays, I was the typical teenager who didn't fit in with one particular group, but didn't wasn't a total outsider. I was friendly with everyone and they were friendly to me, so I never had enemies.

A few months ago, my fellow Spencerians formed a 20-year reunion committee. Invitations was out, the buzz was loud, but I wasn't sure if I was going. First of all, The reunion would be in Columbus, GA. I live way out in Las Vegas, NV....Would I be willing to spend the plane ticket to see people I rarely hung out with when I was in high school?? Initially, I wasn't going to go...but as time went on and as I was thinking about the memories of Spencer High School. I must say I had a lot of good thoughts about that school.

You see, despite the awkwardness most teenagers are (myself included), the memories of High school are some of the best times in your lives. It's high school where you develop you social skills, where you begin to learn about yourself as a person. It's a place where you develop your first crush, but never pursued it cause you were extremely shy. It's a place where you gain respect for a particular teacher who believed enough in you to put you in a local contest even if you didn't think you deserved it but it helped you develop a strong confidence that your exhibit now...Thanks Mr. Hampton.

I'm proud to say I'll be attending my 20-year high school reunion, and I'll be happy to reacquaint myself with everyone I went to high school.. from my closest friends to acquaintances. I'm definitely gonna have fun while I'm there...and maybe..just maybe be a teenager for 2 days..I'm looking forward to laughing and reminiscing about four years of my life that partly made me the man I am today.


No comments: