Monday, April 16, 2012

Poker Hands For Critique


This blog will be dedicated to some hands I've played the past couple of weeks....cash and tournaments...Every poker player is looking for improve their game. A poker player who thinks he/she knows it all is not a true student of the game. I, for one, is always looking to improve my poker game and getting advice from other players is the best way to do it:

Hand #1 (Aria) 1-3 No Limit

Typical Aria game, mixture of tight and loose players. I'm sitting behind a stack of $500 after a couple of hours...Limper UTG (Loose, bad player behind a stack of $200) calls,  I raise to $12 with AQ hearts....folded to a tight player in Small Player with around $120 calls...Limper calls...3 to the flop....Flop comes A 9 10 (two hearts). Small Blind check...Limper leads for $40...Limper has $160 behind after the bet, and I'm pretty much gonna play this hand fast...With the small blind lurking behind, I don't mind playing for stacks with such a strong hand against these two players. Even if I'm behind, I'm pretty sure I have a ton of outs even if I'm called...I decide to apply maximum pressure and raise-all in. To my surprise both the small blind and Limper calls!!! Shit!!! Small Blind turns over AK, Limper has A9....I need help!! Turn is a K river is a 4....I lose both pots!! I thought I played the hand correctly, but after analyzing the hand, I may have overplayed it...Thoughts??

Hand #2 (Ballys) 1-2 No Limit

Arrived at Ballys around 7:30AM to a table full of drunken morons with monster stacks and they were throwing chips in the middle like it was out of style! Probably one of the best tables I've ever been at! But this hand involved the only non-drunk at the table. A gentlemen who was a semi regular at Ballys, who I'd call a pretty solid player...I raise a couple of limpers to $15 behind $350 stack with KK...called by two of the drunks...The solid player is on Big blind, instantly shoves $100 in the middle! Limpers fold... Because he's a solid player I immediately put him on AA, but after further thought I believed he re-raised to fast to have that big a hand. In my experience, anyone who has AA and there is a raise in front of them, you'll see a lot of stalling (or "Hollywood") to try and show weakness! This is what I sensed he was doing. My range extended to now included AK, QQ or JJ. My plan of action (Albiet, a risky one) was to cold call the raise, and hope the two drunks would let go of their hands and I can play my KK in position against one player. If I got called by either drunk, I would proceed cautiously. But to my surprise and relief, both drunk limpers fold. So I'm heads up against solid player. My plan was to go All-in to any bet unless an Ace, Queen or Jack flopped!  The flop comes 2 3 4 rainbow....Solid player leads for $125...I go All in...he instantly calls....Board comes runs out a couple of bricks...I show my KK, he taps the table and mucks....Later he told me he has QQ....Not sure if I played this hand correctly, but I loved the results...

Hand #3 (Santa Fe) $10,000 Guarantee No Limit Tournament

This monthly tournament attracts a pretty tough crowd, but there are still some weak spots to make it worth your time. It's one of the better tournaments in Vegas! The structure is awesome and it's run very well. Although I haven't had much luck in this tournament (In fact, I NEVER HAVE LUCK at SANTA FE), it's still one of my favorite tournaments to play. This hand happened in the middle stages...Blinds are 400-800, 50 ante....Two limpers in front of me with over 40,000 Each...I raise in Middle position with AQ offsuit out of a 25,000 stack...Limpers call....Flop comes A84...Both limpers check....I decided to pot control and check behind...this is one of those "polarizing" boards where I'm either way ahead or way behind...There's not much turn cards I'm afraid of...The turn brings an 8 diamonds, which not puts two diamonds on the board. The first limper leads for 2,200...Second limper folds...I would characterized his player as weak-straight forward...I've seen him limps with all kinds of junk but fold if he doesn't flop anything...maybe he'll take one card off sometimes...I decided to just call and reevaulate the river...The river comes 3 diamonds, now he leads for 4,400....Dammit, I definitely put myself in a bind. He's definitely representing a flush. I didn't think he'd bet an Ace on the river, so there's not much I can beat out there...maybe AJ or A10, which I felt was in his limping range....My initial reaction was to fold, but I'm a stubborn guy, and I reluctly call...HE turns over 64 Diamonds for a rivered flushed...Damn!! Two mistakes is I should have raised for value on the turn especially if I put him on a weaker Ace and the fact that a flush came I should have made him pay dealer to draw. On the river, I need to go with my first read and go with it...Fold was the correctly play on the river...

Critiques please!! Thanks...

No comments: