Sunday, September 16, 2007

Emotions and Poker

As I write this it’s 1:24 AM Sunday morning. My fiance and daughter are fast asleep and I have a bad case of insomnia. I guess now is a good enough time to enter another entry into my blog. I just finished a roller coaster session of 1-2 Omaha Hi Lo on Poker Stars, and after a rough start I managed two squeak out a small win. Looking back at the session I realized two things: 1) I still have to work on my emotions. Too many times I take a couple of horrific beats and end up playing horribly for a few minutes. It’a major leak I’m desperately looking to fix. For example, tonight, in my first 3 hands I lost on the river a full house, a flush, then a straight, then I went on to donk off a few of my chips. I feel if I can get though this part of my game, I will be on my way to consistent poker. 2) There are just some really bad players, and I’m not talking about players who play for 2 or 3 days, then are never heard from again, but regulars who are just plain putrid. I won’t mention names, but if you watch the low limit Omaha games, you’ll pick out the fish.

I’m currently reading Matthew Hilger’s Inside the Poker Mindset, and it’s one of the great books in the subject of emotions and how to deal with them. Although I still have a hard time grasping at his concepts, I’m slowly starting to realize how important it is to control yourself. Once you control yourself, you can control your game, and therefore be a consistent winner.

Well, the World Championship of Online Poker is underway and it’s on its way to record setting prize pools. I’ve tried a few satellites without much luck. Hopefully, I’ll be able to win one and get to play an event.

No comments: