Saturday, January 21, 2012

LET THE YOUNG GUN...BE A YOUNG GUN

Although it's not as prominent as when the explosion of online poker was at it's zenith, there still are "Internet" poker kids who "talk" a big game, but don't have the game to back it up. These internet kids want to be the brash, young-difference makers emulating their favorite "poker celebrities" that most don't work on their game and just want to cultivate their image. These internet kids definitely love to dress the part: sunglasses, headphones, hooded sweatshirt and red bull in hand. They believe in their heart of hearts, they are:



If you're aware of this image, it's one of the easiest players to exploit....

Playing at the Mirage, we had one of these players...He bought in for $200, and began talking a big game...raising almost every pot, being extremely talkative during the hands (his logic about hands didn't make any sense, but heh, it sounded good), bluffing and showing, and ordering his red bulls...gotta love this guy...Seemed like a nice-enough kid, but his cockiness was going to get him trouble if he ran his act against the wrong player...and that player ended up being me...Here's two hand examples of how I did it:

I raise two-early position limpers with JJ, and called my Young gun and another guy..the blinds fold.the other limpers fold..so we see the flop 3-headed...the flop comes 8 7 6 rainbow. I bet 25....Only the Young Gun calls...The Young Gun played a lot of hands, but his post-flop skills were below average...He would try to trap with strong hands, and bet with average/below hands. He also tried to get cute when drawing hands, raising with bottom pair, then checking down when he was called. I was pretty sure he had a 8...The turn was a 6....I believed I still had the best hand, but this is one of the spots were checking is the best play. Because I had an aggressive player in the hand....I was positive he would bet the turn if checked....So I checked, he bets 40...I call....River is an ugly 9, putting a straight on the board. I checked again...with the intention of calling....The young gun grabs a stack of chips, stares at me as he if was going to fire, but ultimately, he checked behind...I turned over my JJ, and he quietly mucks his hand....Not sure what he had in that spot, but my feeling was he floating (Calling the flop with nothing, with the intention of trying to take the pot away from me on the turn), and couldn't pull the trigger on the river...

 Few hands later, I open-raise to 8 with AQ, Young Gun, and one of the blinds call....3 handed-flop...Flop comes Q J 8....I bet 20...Young Gun is the only caller...I put his on a Jack with maybe a straight draw....The turn is a 4....Even though I believed I had the best hand I decided to go a different route....Young Guns don't like to be bluffed out of hands...they also don't like to lose to the same player twice in a row...Young Guns always believed they're the best player at the table and will do everything to continue that image, including what is called "Hero Calls" A hero call is someone who calls with a sub-standard hand hoping to catch a bluff. I think this is a spot for the Young Gun looked to be a "hero"....I bet 25, Young Gun instant-calls....The river is a 2...The cut out 40 chips and fire at the pot...The Young Gun stands up, mumbles something about that I can't have anything. Finally, he grabs $40 and as he slides them to the middle, says, "If you have a Q, you're good" I show my AQ and rake another pot. The Young Gun order another red bull, and reloaded for another $200.

Internet Young Guns are a valuable source of income and if you know how to exploit their tendencies. I'd rather have a bunch of young guns at my table than a table full of rocks...








No comments: